Simple Machines - May They Rise Again!

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999 14:03:31 -0500 Joe Taylor <jat178@EMAIL.PSU.EDU>
writes:
Hi Phys-L gang,
I grow more and more convinced that simple machines provide a very meaningful context for the discussion of important physics concepts. How and why did they fall from grace (and out of most high school physics curricula)?

Hi,

I'm also a former H.S. physics teacher - 9 yrs. at an all girls school. PLEASE continue to encourage your future teachers cover simple machines in elementary school and junior high. I covered them in my classes, partly because they provide good examples of work, energy and efficiency, and partly because few of my students had ever worked with levers, pulleys or jacks.
The video "Eureka" includes five or six five minute lessons on work, energy and simple machines. It is targeted at grades 6 - 9, but I used it to good effect in my classes. I think it would be excellent for elementary or junior high.

Best wishes,
bob