Re: The Rise and Fall of Simple Machines

A simple machine used to compress a spring corresponds to
a calorimetric setup in which "latent heat" is accumulated,
perhaps in a solar house for subsequent release. Thus energy
(mechanical or thermal) can be said to be "work done on a
system" or "heat supplied to it".

Such generalization may surface naturally in a Socratic
postlab dialog. Should we immediately say NO, NO, NO?
How should the dialog continue to correct the misconception?
I will be happy to play the role of a student, if somebody
takes on the role of a teacher.

Ludwik Kowalski