Re: tanning beds

At 09:57 11/19/99 -0500, Robert Cohen wrote:
My brother was reading ///"Los Alamos from Below").
...Feynman ... saw the first Trinity test
with the human eye. Apparently, he saw it through glass and assumed that
only uv waves can hurt the eye. Can anyone provide more information
regarding this statement? Does glass really absorb all of the harmful
uv? Is it really true that visible light cannot damage the eye?
Unfortunately, I have never read the book myself.

| Robert Cohen

[Ordinary] Glass's absorption becomes significant past the near UV.
UV is not the only harmful radiation.
The power of radiation to damage is a function of its absorption
and its intensity (or energy density or flux or ..er.. power)

Visible light at too high intensity soon leads to temporary or
permanent blind spots. Microwaves can cook flesh too.

Bill does a good rant about associating particular bands ( like IR)
with 'heat'.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK