Re: Charge Distribution around pointed areas

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

... Your idea of doing this with Interactive Physics was great. I do
not have time to play with it now but I guess what you did. I suppose
you started with an arbitrary positions and you waited till beads
equilibrated. The gravity was turned off and charges were assigned. You
used position meters to read the output accurately. Right?

Right. Except you need to turn on some "air resistance" so that the
motion will damp to the equilibrium position.

Knowing positions you can calculate PE at once.

I didn't bother calculating the PE since it isn't really of interest.

No need to iterate till the minimum is found, as I did. Was this what
you used Maple for?

I used Maple to find the equilibrium positions of seven charges (for which
two will be at the ends and one in the middle.) I simply wrote U(x,y),
where x is the distance of the second and sixth charges from the center
and y is the distance of the third and fifth, with k = Q = L/2 = 1 and
then had Maple solve the two equations, dU/dx = 0 and dU/dy = 0,
simultaneously (and numerically) for x and y.