Re: Inertia or the "amount of substance"

My comments were about the way of introducing a concept,
not about ways of refining it in subsequent courses. You are
correct, Miguel, initially introduced concepts must be refined,
as needed. Teaching would be impossible without this. A
misconception, I think, exists when a statement is nearly
always wrong, not when situations in which it is wrong are
uncommon.

A discussion on how to introduce "getting fatter and fatter",
when v-->c, would be interesting. Is it an illusion or is it real?
And what happens to the mass? Is this the area in which a
distinction between the "two masses" becomes essential?
Ludwik Kowalski
To understand is to find a satisfactory causal relation.
To explain is to express that understanding.
To teach is to promote understanding.

"Miguel A. Santos" wrote:

... I'd say that the conception of mass "as the amount of
substance which can not be changed without taken somehting
away, or adding" may be a misconception*. Namely, as I move
faster and faster, relative to someone else, I see her/him getting
fatter and fatter, and she/he is not eating that much. It is the
inertia which is increasing. .....