Re: Bubble-Boy fix

Bob Sciamanda wrote:
It seems that the "BubbleBoy" virus is real, and a danger to Outlook
Express users: Here's some help from
www.TheNakedPC.com (A very quick download patch.)
If anyone has details on the efficacy of this fix, I'm all ears.

The Eyedog fix, from Microsoft, is totally effective. It is one of a
series of fixes to security problems that have been identified in the
past few months for the Microsoft stable of ponies: Windows, Internet
Explorer, Outlook Express, Office, etc.

The *best* protection strategy against virus-like infections targeted at
Microsoft products is: (1) install Windows 98, and run the online
Windows Update feature weekly to download Microsoft security fixes as
they are made available; and (2) install quality anti-virus software
such as Norton or McAfee, and run its online update feature weekly to
download updates. FWIW I have switched preference to Norton Antivirus,
which seems to be as effective as any other and has a classier and
simpler update process.

At this time most virus-like issues affect only Windows users; but if I
was an Apple user, I would avoid hubris and use quality antivirus
protection when engaging in electronic social intercourse.

BubbleBoy is a trojan horse, a tad annoying but not really a danger.
All it does is use your address list to send out one copy of itself, one
time, to each address. That could cause temporary traffic bandwidth
problems at some servers, but it isn't one of those nasty virus critters
that messes up your hard drive or E-mails porn to Janet Reno from your
address. It is at this time only a securely contained laboratory
creation, not found in the wild. There are wild viruses lurking (like
the new FunLove parasitic file infector) that are more worrisome.

Best wishes,

Larry
Larry Cartwright <exit60@ia4u.net>
Physics and Physical Science Teacher