Re: lightbulbs

At 17:34 11/9/99 -0500, Yvon Jean wrote:

Here's a simple experiment I'm having trouble with.
.. find the relationship between the resistance of
the bulb and the illumination produced by the bulb.

I tried 3 bulbs (1.5 V, 3.8 V, 6V) sequentially
wired to the same 1.5 V drycell.
The least light is obtained with the 6 V bulb and
the most light with the 1.5 V bulb...
The current and resistance values were obtained
with a digital multimeter. Here are the results:
1.5 V bulb 3.8 V bulb 6 V bulb
1.6 ohms 2.9 ohms 1 ohm
0.22 A 0.18 A 0.28 A

You measured currents with the lamps at various temperatures.
You measured resistance of cold filaments.

You mentioned the rated voltage of each bulb. This would produce a
white hot filament temperature giving a resistance about four times the
value of the cold filament resistance - of your 1.5 volt bulb for
instance. This lets you roughly estimate the nominal power of the
other two:
1st bulb actual power = 1/3 watt
2nd bulb rated power = 3.8^2/(2.9*4.25) = 1 watt (estimated)
3rd bulb rated power = 6^2/(1*4.25) = 8 watts. (estimated)

Bottom line - it's not simple to estimate the brightness
of bulbs of unknown power of known working voltage from their
current across a known voltage.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK