Re: An ohmic experiment

Michael Edmiston wrote:

I mentioned, in a previous message, that I have students plot I versus delta-V for
resistors over a range of power sufficiently high that they nearly "smoke" the
resistors. Then I have them repeat the experiment over the same power range, but with
a heatsink. I have them do this with both a nichrome resistor and with a carbon-film
resistor. There are some neat things that result from this.

(1) The I versus delta-V plots for both types of resistors show slight non-linear
behavior when the resistors are allowed to heat-up. They both display very linear
behavior when fitted with a heatsink and plotted over the same range as without the
heatsink. This demonstrates the non-linear behavior was temperature induced and not
voltage induced. That means these are actually behaving as ohmic materials.

That's as clear an answer as I've ever gotten. Thanks, Michael. Now, let's generalize a
bit. Aside from the intentionally non-ohmic devices that have been mentioned in this
thread, are most substances (homogeneous elements and compounds) ohmic in the sense of
your result (1)?

poj