Re: Elastic collision rule

We don't teach 'conservation of velocity' but our algebra
(arithmetic) based course DOES treat collisions with the separation
speed = approach speed (or reduced by a 'coefficient of restitution'
for partially elastic cases.).

We do it because the algorithm is simple and powerful. Once they
master relative velocities, it's pretty much clear sailing. We don't
get to KE conservation 'til much later in the semester and it gives
'em a thrill to be able to solve these problems well before the trig
course gets the two humongous equations to 'plug into' to get the
same results.