From: Ludwik Kowalski <KowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 08, 1999 11:48 AM
Subject: Re: Ohm's Law

Consider a diode whose I=f(V) looks like y=x^2 between V=0 and
V=6 volts. You apply 4 V and the current of 2 mA is flowing. You
say R=2000 ohms. This is a dc circuit. Add an ac source in series.
Assume its inner resistance is negligible and the dop amplitude
is 1 volt. The alternating current is superimposed on the dc. Divide
your 1 volt by the amplitude of the current and you have the dynamic
resistance. It is smaller than 2000 ohms. That is how I see it. The ac
and the dc encounter different resistances.

What would be a good mechanical or optical analogy for this?
Ludwik Kowalski