Re: F=ma

It is not research, but Paul Hewitt has long advocated a form similar to
that which Leigh has suggested: F/m = a. In some sense it sets an
experience or observation on one side (RHS) and the "factors" which are
used to explain it on the other.

I agree. It is for the same reason that I introduce the potential
difference, resistance, current relationship (no need to call it Ohm's
Law!) as
I = V/R

In my mind, current plays the same role as acceleration, it is what we
"observe." The PD drives the current much as force "drives" the
acceleration. And just as mass (inertia) limits the acceleration,
resistance (electrical inertia) limits it.

Hey, it isn't perfect, but analogies never are.

Van E. Neie

Dept of Physics 157 Ivy Hill Drive
1396 Phys Bldg W. Lafayette, IN 47906-4865
Purdue University (765) 463-5022
W. Lafayette, IN 47907-1396
(765) 494-5511 FAX (765) 494-0706

"Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what
little chance you have of trying to change others." -- Jacob M. Braude