Re: F=ma

At 11:32 PM 05-11-99 -0800, Leigh wrote:

Newton's algebra doesn't admit of an asymmetrical use of "equals".

>Why should I not think in terms of a net force "causing" an acceleration,
>Fn=ma?

Leigh, I don't under stand this -- well, I guess I don't understand why
this is true -- I will ask him the next time he visits me. But, at
present, it is inconceivable to me that Newton did not assume that force
was the "cause" of the "change in motion" As I say, I will ask him the
next visit -- I will also give him a copy of your posts. (:-)

Yes, what do others think re this? Somebody might also look in the
Principia for a clue.

I will also look for mistakes in calculations on my next trip to the Moon.

Jim

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen