Re: L2-"Negotiating" a curve.

I had a WONDEROUS chain drive tricycle and it didn't have a differential.

At 5:09 PM -0600 11/4/99, Arlyn DeBruyckere wrote:

and for Leigh:

>The differential was invented a very long time ago and was applied
>to tricycles long before the transistor was invented, even before
>I was born!

Leigh

I am quite aware of the differential but unless you have different tricycles
than I've seen this doesn't apply. I've never seen a commercial
tricycle with a
differential - they all have solid axles with one gear attached to a chain
attached to another gear attached to pedals. Even with a differential there
would be some "slip" as the tires twisted on the vertical axis (unless you are
going to consider the ideal situation where only one point of the tire is in
contact with the road).

Tire people call this 'squirm',
when the contact patch is forced to twist on the roadway.

Enough for tonight - time to go home. I've been here 11.5 hours already.
--
Arlyn DeBruyckere
Hutchinson High School

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936