From: Lynn Aldrich <laldrich@MISERI.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 1999 1:54 PM
Subject: Re: L2-"Negotiating" a curve.

Maybe someone on the list can help me with a problem I've always had
with
the standard textbook force diagrams for a car on a banked road. I'm
currently using Wilson & Buffa's College Physics, but I've seen the same
diagrams in other textbooks.

As Mark says, the horizontal component of the normal reaction (labeled
N)
from the banked force is show to be the centripetal force. In addition,
on
the diagram the vertical component of N is shown and implied to be equal
mg. This would result in the equation, N cos(angle) = mg or
N = mg/cos(angle) .

However, when textbooks discuss incline planes (which I would think a
small
section of a banked road could be considered to be), components of N are
not used in the force diagram, components of mg are used, resulting in
the
equation
N = mg cos(angle) . If this diagram were applied to a banked road, the
mg sin(angle) component would equal some component of friction or the
car
would slide toward the center of the curve.

I can't reconcile that N is mg TIMES cos(angle) and N is mg DIVIDED BY
cos(angle) depending on which diagram you use.

So..am I missing something? Or is friction the answer to this apparent
discrepancy? And if friction is the answer, why isn't it in the
diagrams?

Lynn Aldrich