Re: L2-"Negotiating" a curve.

----- Original Message -----
From: Arlyn DeBruyckere <arlynd@HUTCH.K12.MN.US>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>

I don't see where Hewitt blew it. We have an object (as I understand
the question) traveling at a uniform speed in a circular motion. The
net force necessary to provide this motion is toward the center of the
circle (center directed - centripetal). The acceleration of the object
is toward the center if we use the classical frame of reference to be
the earth standing still. If there were no net force the object would
continue in a straight line but in this case since the object is curving
toward the center of the circle the force is toward the center of the
circle - centripetal force.

--
Arlyn DeBruyckere

Arlyn,

I suspect you are new to the list (this topic is discussed often ;-). The
problem with labeling a force vector as the centripetal force is that it
instill in students the idea that there is a force in nature called the
centripetal force. We know that for uniform circular motion there has to be
a net force directed towards the center of that motion in order to produce
the needed centripetal acceleration, but that net force must be identifiable
as a gravitation, friction, a tensional, a push, a pull, etc. or a
combination of such. Look at the motion of a person riding a Ferris Wheel
and try to identify the forces that cause the centripetal acceleration as
the wheel rotates. Those forces keep changing--being sometimes the 'weight'
of the person, sometimes the bottom of the chair, sometimes the back of the
chair, sometimes maybe just friction, and usually a combination of at least
two of the above. Just drawing an force vector towards the center and
labeling it Centripetal Force is insufficient to fully understand and
appreciate such a situation.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE AVAILABLE
see descriptions at:

http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/

New Win9.x and PowerMac packages now available.