From: John Denker [mailto:jsd@MONMOUTH.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 1999 10:05 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: testing vs. teaching

The discussion of the recent PSAT question
6. METER : DISTANCE ::
(a) ounce : pound
(b) gram : weight
(c) container : liquid
(d) size : height
(e) boundary : periphery

has missed a couple of important points:

1) The ETS is in the testing business, not the teaching business. They
don't much care whether the students learn something, learn nothing, or
even "learn" misconceptions during the test.

...snip