HS Tchr Physics Tchg workshop opportunity

THE ACTIVITY BASED PHYSICS INSTITUTES
Meeting Standards Using Interactive Pedagogies and Computer Tools

Session I (Starter): June 18-30, 2000 Session II (Follow-up):
June 17-29, 2001

The Institutes will be offered both summers at a western site
(University of Oregon in Eugene, OR) and an eastern site (Dickinson College
in Carlisle, PA).
The Institutes are designed for High School Teachers (Grades 9-12)
who teach physics and/or physical science courses and School
Administrators. Teams are especially welcome.
Over the course of the two summers, participants will learn to adapt
activity-based curricula to state and national standards, to implement new
teaching methods based on physics education research, to use computer tools
for inquiry, to assess new pedagogical techniques, to overcome
implementation barriers, and to become leaders in local educational reform.

Participants will receive sample curricular materials, a $1000 stipend
upon completion of both Sessions I and II of the Institute, free room and
board at each session, up to $200 assistance each summer for travel to
Institute site, and opportunities for graduate credit or Continuing
Education Units (CEUs). The institute is funded by NSF grant Number
ESI-9819626
For more information and application materials consult our web site
at: http://physics.dickinson.edu/ABPInstitutes or contact: Gail Oliver,
Department of Physics & Astronomy, Dickinson College, Box 1773, Carlisle,
PA 17013, Office: (717) 245-1845,
Fax: (717) 245-1242, Email: oliver@dickinson.edu. Application deadline is
February 14, 2000.
INSTRUCTORS: Eastern site: Patrick Cooney (Millersville University),
Priscilla Laws (Dickinson College), Maxine Willis (Gettysburg Area High
School)
Western site: David Sokoloff (University of Oregon), Ronald Thornton
(Tufts University), John Garrett (Science Education Consultant)