Re: L5-PHYS-L Nov99 Technical posting

Responding to Rick (see below).

Instead of discussing the merits and demerits of labeling messages
according to levels (see below) I suggest that those who like the idea
start labeling. It is important to do this only when a thread is started
or renamed. I do not see how it can hurt anything. But it can help.
It will catch if people do it properly, I believe. The labeling will die
by itself if people do not find it useful. They will "vote" by starting
threads without labeling them in the subject line. We do have a traffic
problem and attempts to improve the situation are worth trying.

L0 for elementary science,
L1 for HS and non-calculus physics courses at colleges and universities
L2 for calculus based introductory courses
L3 for higher undergraduate courses
L4 for graduate courses and above
L5 for others.

Responding to Bob (see below).

I think that your suggested for merging L1 with L2 is not desirable. These
are really different levels. A teacher interesed in both will read both. The
whole point of this is to add another hook. The decision of using it or not
is yours. Let us see how people feel about this in the next ten or twenty new
threads. I will be labeling for couple of days, then I may change my mind.
Ludwik Kowalski

*****************************
Richard Tarara wrote:

There is a very simple solution to the 'traffic' problem on Phys-L. It's
called the delete key! One can determine in a message or two if a given
thread is 'for you' or for working theorists in relativistic quantum
thermodynamics. From then on, just delete messages from that thread--it
takes only a couple of seconds to do this. You can also choose to read or
delete the Chalupa/razor blade threads as well. If you are receiving the
digest, you can just use the 'page down' key when you hit a post in which
you have no interest.

Coding posts or trying to censor posts one the basis of content won't work
in an unmoderated list. I think we do a fairly good job keeping the
threads on topic (at least something to do with physics and most involved
with the teaching and learning of physics). A few strange ones sneak
through, but usually those are a refreshing break for those of us who do
read most or all of the traffic.

So, my vote is to leave Phys-L alone. It works fine as structured.

Bob Yeend wrote:

Good idea, One small recommendation would be to combine
levels 1 & 2. Some HS courses are calculus based, ...