Re: Why do we care about heat?

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, I wrote:

If I haul a weight from height H=1m to height H=2m that is the epitome of
macroscopic work -- and there is no reason why it should not be reversible
(to an exceedingly good approximation).

To which on 04:04 PM 10/31/99 -0800, John Mallinckrodt responded:

Sigh. I must confess that I am growing more than a little weary of your
unrelenting need to find virtually everything I say totally bizarre,
unacceptable, not the way it is done, or just plain crazy.

Look. If *you* haul a weight from height H = 1m to H = 2m in the real
world *you* have just performed an irreversible process for a number of
reasons.

OK, how irreversible is it? What percentage of the work *must* be done
irreversibly? Can you state a positive lower bound?

copyright (C) 1999 John S. Denker jsd@monmouth.com