Re: Off topic: Humans, Robots and Religion

--- Rick Tarara <rbtarara@SPRYNET.COM> wrote:
It seems to me that modern Neurological Medical
Science has provided enough
evidence that our 'thinking' is organic in nature.
Such cases as those
presented in the movie 'Awakenings' seem to be
pretty strong evidence that
when the brain malfunctions so does the 'soul'.

Rick

I agree wholeheartedly that our thinking and our souls
seem to have organic nature. I think it is this that
justifies a theological inquiry into artificial
intelligence, neuroscience, and other related fields.
Many people are scared to think that they're thoughts
could be reduced to a set of physical laws, or seem to
think that this would somehow make the world less
meaningful. I think this is a flawed assumption based
on centuries of flawed dualist thought. The beauty is
that thought is based on physical law, that there is
an underlying order. I call that order God, or the
Tao, and think philosophical inquiry into its nature
has merit. We physicists would do well to remember
the etymology of "metaphysics" and consider bringing
the two methods of inquiry somewhat closer.

Zach