macroscopic vs microscopic degrees of freedom (was: why pseudowork (NOT)

JM wrote in part:

This is why I don't like the phrase "thermal energy." In my
view there is
only "internal energy" and bulk translational kinetic energy.
Internal
energy includes everything but the three translational
degrees of freedom.
Again I think about the slinky and choose not to attempt to say which
degrees are microscopic and which are macroscopic.

If my 1993 Geo metro is rotating as well as translating (as it has been
known to do on the icy roads of South Dakota), the energy associated with
that rotational motion is in what category? internal energy?

Joel