Re: Ancient Premise

As the fameous philosopher, Decartes once said,
"Cogito ergo sum !.

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999 09:28:02 -0500 Karl Trappe
<trappe@PHYSICS.UTEXAS.EDU> writes:
Does anyone know the resource for this ancient premise. I learned it
in a
high school symbolic logic class. I have also observed the side
effects of
starting with it as an assumption in dealings between co-workers,
ie,
looking for the false premise in order to disagree with all which
followed.
I found that to be very damaging to constructive interactions, or
even to
just *hearing* the other person.

When Sheila Tobias visited the University of Texas at Austin, and
spoke on
"They're not dumb, they're different", many of my colleagues looked
for the
false premise and never heard the message. I'd like to revisit the