Re: Axion? Huh?

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Rupert Greenheart Incarnate, Best of the Best wrote:

Can someone tell me what an axion is, as it applies to particle physics?
Thanks in advance.

If I have it right, it's an issue of topology of the vacuum, and
"gravitons" apply to spacetime warp, while "axions" apply to spacetime
twist or torsion. Search on "einstein-cartan theory." If the vacuum has
torsion, then torsional defects might exist: they would be the so-called
"cosmic strings." But that's "DC torsion". Spacetime waves would be
quantized as gravitons, while waves in a vacuum torsion field would be
quantized as axions. I've heard that a couple of groups have searched for
cosmic "axion radiation" without success. One is local at UW seattle:

Planck-scale physics from "table-top" apparatus
http://mist.npl.washington.edu/eotwash/

Axions are big in Russia, but are found under the heading of "Physical
Vacuum" and "Torsion."

One reason that axions are rarely discussed is that an early theory showed
that torsion forces should be immensely weaker than gravity forces. If
they exist, they might only have effects at a scale of cosmic distances.

See:

Cartan's Corner
http://www22.pair.com/csdc/car/carhomep.htm

The term "Axion" was coined by Dr. F. Wilczek of Inst. of Advanced
Studies, inspired by the laundry detergent of the same name. :)

Why would I know anything about this? Unorthodox physics people love
Torsion. It's not EM and its not gravity, so if torsion radiation has any
bearing on the real world, it could lead to all sorts of unsuspected new
science, and could legitimize all sorts of rejected/disbelieved science.
See my "weird sci" page: http://www.amasci.com/freenrg/tors/

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com