Re: work done by friction

At 01:52 PM 10/26/99 +1000, Brian McInnes wrote:
John and Chuck have both presented illustrations to show that
frictional forces do work. John's illustration is the hand wiped
across the table top and Chuck's illustration is a box being dropped
on to a moving conveyor belt.

... relative motion ...

John's and Chuck's examples are not of this [relative motion] kind.

I disagree.

These is no relative
motion between the hand and the table or the box and the belt.

In my previous note I explicitly stated that the hand was *wiped* across
the tabletop and explicitly stated that there *was* relative motion between
the two.

John, you write: "I don't care how many experts claim it. The claim is
not correct." I'll meet you for the situation where the is no
slippage involved; will you think again about the slippage situation?

I hereby think about it for the Nth time and reject the claim yet again. I
assert yet again that dynamic friction does work in the cases Chuck and I
have described.

In the "static" situation illustrated in your figure,

To repeat: I explicitly discussed dynamic not static friction.

copyright (C) 1999 John S. Denker jsd@monmouth.com