Re: Newton's 3rd law? was Re: inertial forces (definition)

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

I sincerely feel that the problem with student mis-interpretations of
F_c=mv^2/r would be eliminated if, after treating the special case of
circular, constant speed motion the general case would be presented and
hammered home with copious examples (most texts don't do this). It should
then become clear that a very useful case of the (oft' used) pair

F_x=mA_x; F_y=mA_y is the pair

F_t=mdv/dt; F_c=mv^2/r;

... I can say that I have never experienced this misconception as even a
minor epidemic problem. ...

I agree with what I see as the thrust of your comments here, but I think
it pays to use different terminology like "tangential and transverse" or
"parallel and perpendicular" as someone else pointed out a few days ago.
"Centripetal" implies the existence of a "center" that is far from obvious
in the general case. The term is just too loaded and too often abused for
my taste. I can only accept your statement that you've never encountered
any major conceptual difficulties associated with the term; but I know
that I have.

I will point out, however, that in the fully three dimensional case, this
approach might become a bit less compelling as the precise direction of
the transverse or perpendicular component of F can become far less
obvious.