Re: Newton's 3rd law? was Re: inertial forces (definition)

I must ask, how do you account for the momentum component in the
gravitational field in the laboratory? I know of no term used in
elementary physics which does this. I am thinking of a term
analogous to the energy term mgh. It is possible to use the law
of conservation of energy in the Earthbound laboratory by
adopting this (do you call it fictitious?) energy term in the
reckoning. I don't recall hearing about a momentum counterpart.
Leigh

We have the Force Impulse theorem for that!
This speaks to the effect of external forces on our system.

But when you use this with an inertial force you hide under the table the
fact that this external force does not involve another object. The
Newtonian Force concept is an interaction between OBJECTS.

I realize that's what it is. There is no good reason to keep it
that way. A simpler model exists. It is more accurate than the
"force between objects" model. It doesn't have the action at a
distance problem. It doesn't make it necessary to introduce
centrifugal force to explain the real world.

It is clear that I am not engaging in a discussion here so much
as I am hearing affirmations of faith. I've got work to do, and
I would be glad to continue discussion with anyone genuinely
interested by private correspondence.

Leigh