Re: gravitation conserves momentum

At 09:11 AM 10/21/99 -0700, Leigh Palmer wrote:

I must ask, how do you account for the momentum component in the
gravitational field in the laboratory? I know of no term used in
elementary physics which does this. I am thinking of a term
analogous to the energy term mgh.

What's wrong with mgt?

It's the obvious partner to mgh. At the non-elementary level there's more
to the story (momentum is a vector, and momentum-transport is a tensor) but
at the elementary level that seems to solve the problem you pose.

It is possible to use the law
of conservation of energy in the Earthbound laboratory by
adopting this (do you call it fictitious?) energy term in the
reckoning. I don't recall hearing about a momentum counterpart.
Instead we usually apply conservation of momentum only over the
brief interval from "just before the collision" to "just after
the collision", not a very satisfactory situation in my view.
Why not invent a "gravitational potential impulse" account by
virtue of which a particle builds up credit (m*g*delta t in the
downward direction) in a momentum account by merely existing for
an interval of time?

Indeed, why not? Consider it done. Lots of other people consider it
satisfactory.

I'm not advocating the introduction of this fiction into the
curriculum; I'm merely pointing out that something must be done
to save the appearances of the law of conservation of momentum
if one is to use it in a noninertial frame such as the Earthbound
laboratory over a finite time interval.

Yes, something needed to be done, but it was done many years ago. Note the
form of the gravitation law; the magitude of the force is
|Force(on m due to M)| = G M m / r^2
and note that multiplication is commutative.
|Force(on M due to m)| = G m M / r^2 = |Force(on m due to M)|
and when we consider the direction of the force this is a correct (yet
elementary) demonstration that gravitation conserves momentum.

Contrary to John Denker's
vehement protestations, tables, chairs, and even floors are
needed in Earthbound laboratories to provide the necessary force
to maintain a state of zero vertical momentum in many objects.

Anybody who bothered to read what I actually wrote will know that what I
really said at 06:38 AM 10/21/99 -0400 was:

1) Our need for tables and chairs provides absolutely no evidence for
nonconservation of momentum.

Which remains true.

Gravitation does not violate conservation of momentum.

copyright (C) 1999 John S. Denker jsd@monmouth.com