From: Larry Cartwright [SMTP:exit60@IA4U.NET]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 1999 6:24 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: More and more weight/mass Units-STONES

Barlow is right. Rod, pole and perch are all names for a distance of
5.5 yards or 16.5 feet or 1 quarter-chain. It is a major component of
the land survey system used in most of the US.

16 sq rods (or sq poles or sq perches) = 1 sq chain
10 sq chains = 1 acre
640 acres = 1 section (sq mile)
36 sections = 1 township

\\//,

Larry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Larry Cartwright <exit60@ia4u.net>
Physics and Physical Science Teacher
Charlotte HS, Charlotte MI USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Daniel L. MacIsaac" wrote:

...ok, now what's a pole? One of our faculty is an amateur
geneologist
and his ancestors write deeds measuring land claim distances in poles
in the 1800's in AZ.
Dan M

12 inches = 1 foot
3 feet = 1 yard
220 yards = 1 furlong
8 furlongs = 1 mile.
regards,
sarma.

You may add to the table:
22 yards = 1 chain
Brian McInnes

...could a pole be another name for a rod?? WBN
Barlow Newbolt