Re: Newton's 3rd law? was Re: inertial forces (definition)

Do you actively work to dispel the idea that weight is caused by gravitational
force in your intro class?

No. I tell them that weight in an Earthbound laboratory is *mostly*
due to Earth's gravity, but that the cause doesn't matter; we are
only constructing a model, and it is an excellent model representing
the mechanics in the Earthbound laboratory.

Do your students understand the subtleties of your
language choices or are you just being careful so as not to be responsible for
misconceptions at a later date?

I comment on the importance of language every time I feel it is
useful to do so, and that is fairly often, though I don't do it in
every lecture. I do make it very clear when I am defining a term
which will be used in the development (like energy or efficiency)
and I tell them to put all common usage meanings away when they
are doing physics and to use only the defined meanings.

Do you connect the downward motion of falling
objects with the circular motion of orbits or is that not part of your
study of
Newtonian physics in the Earthbound laboratory and saved for as you said
later on?

When I introduce gravity I tell them about Newton's brilliant
insight that the Moon is falling under the influence of the same
force that would make a rock hurled sufficiently rapidly from a
mountaintop circle the Earth. I assume everyone uses that one. It
should not be omitted from any introduction to gravity.

Leigh