Re: More and more weight/mass Units-STONES

A stone is just a name for 14 pounds.
(weight).
J. Epstein

Yes, 14 ponds but mass rather than weight. I thinbk we are talking pounds
mass here: 2240 of them make up a mass of 1 ton just as 1000 kg make up a
mass of 1 tonne.

By the way a guinea was 21 shillings as compared to a 20 shilling "pound".
At one time auctions were conducted in guineas with the auctioneer's
commission being the odd shilling.

Other British Commonweath units that I have found American colleauges to be
unfamiliar with are "furlong" and "fortnight".
Brian McInnes