Re: poundal vs. poundee

At 10:53 AM 10/18/99 -0400, Michael Edmiston wrote:
Actually, I think a poundal is a force.
The poundal is then the force that will give a one pound-mass mass an
acceleration of one foot-per-second-squared.

That puts you in good company, e.g. with
Random House Dictionary of the English Language
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictP.html
http://www.fau.edu/divdept/engineer/people/campbell/noteseml3100.htm

But the notion in my previous posting (poundal=mass) is not a mere
hallucination; see e.g.
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/biology/courses/w3002/physical.html
which comes down pretty hard on the poundal=mass side. It also happens to
agree with my recollection of high-school physics, for what that's worth.

I don't believe we have a single word for a mass that weighs one pound,
just like we don't have a word for a mass that weighs one newton.

I believe we call a mass with a standard weight of one pound by the
name one "pound-mass."

1) That term is ugly.
2) There is no consensus that poundal=mass, so we can't use that.
3) Most physicists are throughly addicted to the notion that pound=force.
4) Maybe a little creativity will help. How about
poundee

That is, if you have a mass of one poundee and apply a force of one pound,
then the poundee accelerates at 9.8 m/s/s. In particular, an ordinary
one-pound loaf of bread has a mass of one poundee.

copyright (C) 1999 John S. Denker jsd@monmouth.com