Re: varying mass systems: rockets included (medium length)

Joel Rauber wrote:

In the rocket in deep space propulsion problem, you deal
with a somewhat
similar situation. Your system of interest is losing mass
rather than
gaining mass. We typically utilize conservation of
momentum to obtain an
equation for the motion of rocket that typically appears as follows:

(total mass) a_cm = -U_exhaust* |dm/dt|

In this situation we don't hestitate to call the added terms
{-U_exhaust* |dm/dt|, in the rocket example} "the thrust "
or maybe "the
force of the thrust".

I believe I followed your statements up to this point.
Please help me to
understand your equation. Why is the left side including an
acceleration
factor? Shouldn't it be velocity?

I mean acceleration, both sides of the equation are intended to be
dimensionally the same as a force.

On the right side is the
-U_exhaust the
velocity of the exhaust as it seems to me it should be?
Perhaps my font
makes a
V look like a U.

Yes, - U_exhaust is intended to be the negative of the exhaust velocity,
relative to the rocket. What is measured when you put the rocket engine on
a fixed cradle and measure the velocity of the exhaust gases, often done in
Utah I believe.

Joel