Re: What is weight? (was Re: Internal or external?)

Michael Edmiston's note about chemists reminds me that I haven't
commented on the geophysicist's viewpoint. When making measurements
of g using gravimeters the quantity determined is, of course, the
same g I* am advocating here; it is not the strength of the Earth's
gravitational field.

It seems to me that the *only* folks out of step with the rest of
humanity on this issue are the introductory teachers of physics.
Perhaps that is why there is such a fuss over this concept among us!

Leigh

*When I say "I" in these posts I do not mean to make proprietary
pretensions. It is clear, for example, that my good friend John
Mallinckrodt, who has thought and written much more deeply on topics
in mechanics than I have, feels exactly the same way I do about this
matter. I just got my oar in first in the present thread. As I say,
the rest of humanity is not confused. John and I are just trying to
get you guys to join us, and them!