Re: UCLA physics course (non-rant)

Yes, at Bluffton College we require that all education majors heading
for grades 9-12 have a major outside the education department. The
education courses can be viewed as electives, I suppose, but of course
they're required by the State to get a teaching license.

Because the State of Ohio does not require a major (this is a BC
requirement), some colleges/universities in Ohio do allow prospective
physics teachers to major in "education." Fortunately, Bluffton has
always considered that wrong. In Ohio, Bluffton College has a very
highly respected education program, and this is at least part of the
reason.

Be aware that it is possible (at Bluffton) to become licensed to teach
in some fields for which you do not have a major, but your preparation
must still be pretty good. Here are two examples to show what I mean.
(1) A student wants to teach physics (only). S/he will complete a
physics major at Bluffton. (2) A student wants to teach both math and
physics. S/he must major in one of these, and could major in both, but
would not have to major in both. Once a major is completed in one
teaching area, the student can become licensed in the second area by
meeting the minimum state standards. In case (2), the student could
major in math and also take 32 semester hours of physics as
"electives," or the student could major in physics and take 32 semester
hours of math as "electives." The student does not freely choose the
32 hours. We either specify the exact courses or we give a list of
approved courses. The point is to make sure that the 32 hours provide
breadth and reasonable depth. Both lower-level and upper-level courses
are required. The student will have to pass state examinations in each
subject area (in this case both math and physics) before getting a
license to teach in that area. With at least 32 semester hours
appropriately chosen from each subject, it should not be too difficult
to pass those exams.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817