Re: What is weight?

Hi Folks --

The obvious answer is:
Weight is the gravitational force on a body.

That's all. Why make it complicated?

At 05:26 AM 10/11/99 -0800, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

As I said before, I (and others) would have it be "what a scale reads"
or, more accurately, the magnitude of the vector sum of all
"nongravitational" forces.

Hmmm, that works only for statics. If I observe a baseball in flight (and
there was a lot of that last night) then it has the usual weight but the
"vector sum of nongravitational forces" is much less.