Re: Internal or external?

Leigh,

To clarify your definition of weight in my mind, please tell me the weight in
the following cases. I have a 100 kg mass with a density of 5000 kg/m^3.
The mass is placed on a bathroom scale in a tub that can be filled with
water. The tub is placed in an elevator that may be accelerated and is at a
location where g is approximately 10 N/kg to simplify calculations. What is
the weight of the mass in the following cases, first with no water in the
tub, and second, with enough water to completely submerge the mass?

1. The elevator is at rest.

2. The elevator accelerates up with a = 5 m/s/s.

3. The elevator accelerates down with a = 5 m/s/s.

Thanks,

Bob Carlson

In a message dated 10/10/99 1:56:20 PM Central Daylight Time, palmer@SFU.CA