Re: Bimodal grades

My experience with bimodal distributions in intro physics is that it
represents the overlap of two distinct levels of preparation for the
course. Simplistically, one group could have tested out of the course, and
the other is in bad need of remedial help.

When my colleagues talk about "teaching to the top 10% of their class", I
remind them that they are "constructing a winning team out of all American
level players", which is *not* to be confused with "teaching". Karl

Richard wrote:
I have seen a bi-modal
distribution in my grades this year like I have never seen before. Is this
a national trend, or are we special in our recruiting here at Bridgewater?

Richard
Dr. Richard L. Bowman
Chair, Dept. of Physics e-mail: rbowman@bridgewater.edu
(and Dir. of Academic Computing) phone: 540-828-5441
Bridgewater College FAX: 540-828-5479
Bridgewater, VA 22812 http://www.bridgewater.edu/~rbowman/

Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk Phone: (512) 471-4152
Physics Dept, Mail Stop C-1600 Demo Office: (512) 471-5411
The University of Texas at Austin Home Phone: (512) 264-1616
Austin, Texas 78712-1081