Measureing the speed of light was - A. Einstein and science

Since when does nature respond to our declarations.

William Beaty wrote:

Only those who use precision physical standards need to respond. If the
speed of light is declared to be a constant, then it becomes impossible to
measure. Any attempts to measure it are *really* measuring the length
standard and the time standard.

I have to disagree. I know that my points in this thread are nit picking but one
of the most important things to keep in mind in the study of physics is careful
attention to detail, language, and descriptions. The thing that is impossible to
measure is the length standard and the time standard. They are the things that
are defined. One based upon the speed of light and the other based on atomic
oscillations. The meter and the second are not aspects of nature they are man
made and defined. A meter and a second are what we decide them to be not what we
measure them to be. Light on the other hand is in natures hands. If we want to
know its characteristics then we must measure them. If we use SI units then I
admit there is not much point since the meter is based on c. But the meter is not
the only way to measure length.

Cliff Parker