Re: pearl diving

At 04:07 PM 10/5/99 -0700, Zach Wolff wrote:
I'd be willing to bet that most pearl divers got into
it because they love diving and the pearls happened to
be a way to pay for their expensive hobby.

Really? Is there any evidence to support this contention?

1) Natural pearls are exceedingly rare. Unless you plan to poach
somebody's cultured-pearl beds, the notion of paying for your hobby by
selling pearls seems exceedingly far-fetched.

2) Typical professional pearl divers don't spend their money on expensive
dive equipment. Indeed they are famous for using almost no equipment at all.

I really doubt that they got into it because they enjoy holding their
breath for long periods of time.

copyright (C) 1999 John S. Denker jsd@monmouth.com