Re: A. Einstein and science-fairs

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Michael Edmiston wrote:

[snip]

This seems to be the primary focus of science fairs today... process.
That's why we have this hypothesis/experiment/conclusion stuff because
it is the primary thing the teachers think they need to stress. In
fact, they stress it more than "experimental design" i.e. learning
about controls and reproducibility. Although the hypothesis stuff
clearly outranks the experimental design phase (here at Bluffton) I am
at least happy to report that the design aspect is not totally
neglected. In my opinion that is the most educational part of a
project like removing stains... not that I tested a hypothesis, but
that I designed an experiment that was able to produce an obvious,
reproducible, definitive answer. But that is only one aspect of
science. I also want to know why.

I think there is little science content in a stain remover project
UNLESS the student tries to find out why xyz is better than abc. Was
one a degreaser but the other was an enzyme? Hmm, what's a degreaser?
What's an enzyme? What's in spaghetti sauce? Or another line of
reasoning...Does it make a difference what kind of fabric is used? If
so, why do some fabrics bind the stain more. Is this a natural versus
synthetic thing? How are synthetic fibers different than natural
fibers?

[snip]

While I agree with much of what Michael has said in this thread, I believe
that there is a lot of science in just identifying empirical
relationships. For example, we can ask if there is a relationship between
force and acceleration. We don't have to ask why.

As for the scientific "method", my own scientific "method" is cyclical. I
might first identify a relationship empirically (e.g., is there a
difference between stain removers?) and then see if there is some common
characteristic among the best stain removers, at which point I might come
up with a hypothesis (those with enzyme A are better) and then test it. I
don't have a hypothesis initially (at least I wouldn't call the question
"is there a difference" a hypothesis) but it seems natural that an
analysis of the results from the first investigation would result in a
testable hypothesis.

My problem with the "scientific method" is that it implies that there is a
required starting point (a hypothesis) and that the hypothesis remains
unchanged throughout the "science". I don't mind the build-a-kit type
projects as long as the building process created some questions in the
kid's mind about how it worked, leading to hypotheses that can then be
tested.

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |