Re: College nowadays - What "should" students know?

This is an interesting conversation for me because a similar thing is
happening at the college level. The med schools seem to be concerned
that physics courses are getting watered down, so they are apparently
now asking for calculus based physics instead of algebra based. Many of
the life science students here don't have the background, and symbolic
manipulation skills to do a good calc based course. If I spend time
developing the calculus, I cannot do the more important issues like
helping them understand physics. Seems counterproductive to me...unless
of course they are just asking us to be a filter.

cheers

joe

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Ed