R: Scientific method was physical pendulums/ an opportunity

----- Original Message -----
From: JACK L. URETSKY (C)1998; HEP DIVISION, ARGONNE NATIONAL LAB ARGONNE,
IL 60439 <JLU@HEP.ANL.GOV>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 1:55 PM
Subject: Re: Scientific method was physical pendulums/ an opportunity

Yeh! Even more blatant, I think, is that gravity problems are
independent
of mass. But getting the students to do algebra, and watch the mass
cancel out
(or leaving only mass ratios) is an impossibility. It makes me wonder
about the
big push, currently, to introduce algebra in the lower grades. Yes, you
can teach
them to mouth the words (or write down symbols), but doesn't it take
maturity to
understand the meaning (or use the symbols to solve problems)?

Forgive me, but I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that students coming
from high school are unable to use algebra and solve
m a = m g
and the like symbolically? Please take no offence from my question, just
laugh at my poor understanding of English language.

Paolo Cavallo - Italy