Re: "first form an hypothesis..."

crawford j maccallum writes:

I agree with Leigh that what's apparently always taught in high school is
way too rigid. Surely we often plan an experiment to "see how this varies
with that" or just to "mess around"

Let's not over-generalize. There's almost nothing that is "always taught
in high school." However, I agree that the norm is to teach "rules" of
scientific inquiry which are way too rigid. Interestingly, in my
professional development activities with science teachers, I often find
middle school teachers adhering more to the requirement of having a
hypothesis (which usually means a prediction).

Dave

David J. Hamilton, Ed.D. * And gladly woulde he learn,
Portland Public Schools * and gladly teche.
djhamil@teleport.com * - Chaucer