From: Herbert H Gottlieb <herbgottlieb@JUNO.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 1999 1:29 AM
Subject: Re: physical pendulums

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 23:48:43 -0400 Bob Sciamanda <trebor@VELOCITY.NET>
writes:
Herb, I think you are confoosed!

The center of oscillation (defined only with respect to a given
suspension point in the body) is that point which, when used as the
point of
suspension, gives the same period of small amplitude oscillations.
That is not the question asked.

Am I really confoosed ????

According to University Physics, 5th edition by Semat, Zemansky, and
Young
(P205), "It is always possible to find an equivalent simple pendulum
whose
period is equal to that of a physical pedulum." ...... "Thus, so far as
its period
of vibration is concerned, the mass of a physical pendulum may be
considered
to be concentrated at a point whose distance from the pivot is L=I/mh.
This point is called the CENTER OF OSCILLATION of the pendulum.

Herb