Re: Questions on Neg. and Pos. Acceleration

At 7:35 AM -0400 9/23/99, jmanor wrote:
Is it possible for an object to have a negative acceleration while
increasing in speed? And also can you explain if the velocity of an
object be negative when its acceleration is positive and vice versa?

These questions MUST be covered from a thorough treatment of velocity
vs. time graphs (along with an understanding of such technical words
as

speeding up
slowing down
going forward
going backwards

velocity
!
! /\
! / \
! / \
!___/______\____________________ (time)
! / \
! / \
!/ \
!

When you can describe this graph is simple words, you will have the answer.

BTW, I AVOID the acceleration word until we get to Forces. 'Til then
we just describe the velocity changing at a certain rate (slope of
the velocity time graph)

The word acceleration is not necessary and is a MAJOR source of
confusion. It is too easy to 'learn' the acceleration equations
without 'knowing' what's going on.

stress velocity vs. time graphs for understanding AND problem solving.

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936