Re: Being careful with directions

Here's an 'official' listing that might be interesting - BUT I seem
to remember finding a MISTAKE somewhere on this page.

http://tgsv5.nws.noaa.gov/er/box/equinox.html

At 11:17 AM -0600 9/22/99, Rondo Jeffery wrote:
Leigh's question of the day:

>>> Leigh Palmer <palmer@SFU.CA> 09/22/99 10:28AM >>>
> We can be quite smug in realizing that
>our autumn and winter will be shorter than spring and summer
>by a significant amount.
>
>Anyone want to guess by how much? Has this fact ever been
>pointed out to you before?

>Leigh

Leigh,
In my astronomy classes I always tell the students that the time
from Vernal Equinox to Autumn Equinox is 5 days longer than from AE
to VE. That is of course because of the elliptical orbit, and we
travel fastest when we are closest to the sun, which is during
northern hemisphere winter (around Jan. 2, I believe it is). That
makes summers longer than winters, even though it may not seem that
way when it gets really cold in the winter.
Is that the answer you were looking for, Leigh? 5 days. It can
vary slightly due to the equinoxes falling early or late in a day.
Rondo Jeffery
Weber State University
Ogden, UT 84408-2508
rjeffery@weber.edu

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936