Re: fuel-air explosives and the next highschool "event"

My wife teaches fifth grade. One thing she tries to do is down play
competitiveness and strive more for cooperation. She says that a
school system can stress one or more of three types of learning styles:
competitive education, cooperative education, and individual education.
She strongly downplays competitive education; strongly encourages
cooperative education, and uses individual education to deal with
special needs. She says perhaps what happens in high school depends
more on how the elementary teachers teach rather than anything the high
school administration can do (or not do).

what they need to realize is that there are some kids who need each type.
there is no ONE TYPE of teaching that is best for everyone. the really
quiet and shy kids lose out in cooperative exercises if they don't
participate or have the strength of confidence to think for themselves.
it's just too easy to figure, i'm wrong, i'll just accept his answer, and
go with the group.

Dr. Lois Breur Krause
Department of Geological Sciences
442 Brackett Hall
Clemson University
Clemson SC 29634

krause@clemson.edu
http://home.earthlink.net/~breurkrause

teaching chemistry, physics, astronomy and geology to elementary education
majors.

How We Learn and Why We Don't: Student Survival Guide,
available from International Thompson Publishing, ISBN 0324-011970
800-355-9983

If I had one wish for our nation,
I would wish for a turn about of what we value in a person.
We value athletic prowess, and not intelligence.
We value physical attractiveness, and not beauty of the soul.
We value cunning and wealth, and not honesty and integrity.
These lessons should be taught to our youth.
Instead our schools demand athletic competition of every student,
and denigrate the scholar.
Failing to reward excellence rewards failure. - Dr. L. Breur Krause