Re: NASA High-Malarkey Project

John Denker wrote:

Some thoughts:
.
2) There's no doubt that a personal VTOL device can be built. I have
literally had my hands on a Rocket Belt that was still warm from being used.

I'm all in favor of high-payoff projects, and I'm willing to run high risks
when that's what's needed. But let's not pretend that high risk is
meritorious. Risks are like potholes in the road. We steer around them when
we can.

The CIA developed such a personal VTOL machine in the mid 1960s. Not only would
it carry 200 pounds for 50 miles, but it was silent enough to be covert. When
you're pushing the state of the art, what looks probable to insiders would be
considered high-risk enough to be crazy by outsiders. That's one of the reasons
the CIA doesn't reveal its technological achievements.

poj