Re: Cold Fusion Discussion

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Richard Tarara wrote:

Bill,

Lighten up! ;-)

If somebody else asks me to, then I certainly shall consider it. Let's
see...

I say that certain ideas and discoveries can be suppressed by disbelief.

You accuse me of paranoia (on what grounds?)

I object most strongly to your accusation, see it as an unseemly
attempt to belittle my assertion that suppression exists, and note a
clear similarity between such disparagement and the words of bigots who
attempt to hide their misdeeds by belittling the complaints of their
victims. There is a big difference between rational debate and words
motivated by hatred. I'd be delighted if you show me where the error
lies in my original assertion. But if you disparage or belittle my
assertion, I shall not sit still for it.

To respond, you ignore my complaint, and instead say "lighten up,"
which carries the clear implication that there is something wrong with
me (I'm too 'heavy'?), and also carries the implication that you are
already "lightened": that your original accusation is a "laughing
matter." It is not, and I shall not let this drop.

I object most strongly to your debating tactics. They are far worse than
unseemly. If you cannot point out my errors, or offer counterarguments,
but instead must resort to such low tactics, then I shall respond just as
I have done.

Regarding suppression, others here might wish to refer to a website where
inarguable scientific suppression is well-documented, and where the
mechanisms of suppression are analysed: when government and industry
attempts to suppress the efforts of scientist-whistleblowers:

http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/bmartin/dissent

http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/bmartin/dissent/documents/Martin_93nw.html

The author Dr. Brian Martin has extended his efforts from "whistleblower"
realm to the suppression of dissenting scientific ideas in general, and
describes what can be done to counter the actions of those who wish to
attack and to silence the nonconformist voices.

STRATEGIES FOR DISSENTING SCIENTISTS
http://www.jse.com/martin/toc.html

Abstract

Those who challenge conventional views or vested interests in science
are likely to encounter difficulties. A scientific dissenter should
first realize that science is a system of power as well as of knowledge,
in which interest groups play a key role and insiders have an extra
advantage. Dissenters are likely to be ignored or dismissed. If
dissenters gain some recognition or outside support, they may be
attacked. In the face of such obstacles, several strategies are
available, which include mimicking science, aiming at lower status
outlets, enlisting patrons, seeking a different audience, exposing
suppression of dissent, and building a social movement.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com