Re: Bicycles, trucks, trains

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:23:54 -0500 Clarence Bennett <bennett@OAKLAND.EDU>
writes:
I wish I could figure out why my Volvo wagon usually needs fuel after
about 300 miles when I stay near home, but when I drive across the
country, over the Rockies, with the air cooler running, and going 70
mph, it goes
as much as 400 miles on a tankful.

Is it possible that your trip over the Rockies is mostly down hill??>

come on guys, you get better gas mileage under "highway" conditions. the
greatest inefficiency is changing speed, which is avoided in steady speed
conditions, regardless (relatively) of what that speed is.

Dr. Lois Breur Krause
Department of Geological Sciences
442 Brackett Hall
Clemson University
Clemson SC 29634

teaching chemistry, physics, astronomy and geology to elementary education
majors.

How We Learn and Why We Don't: Student Survival Guide,
available from International Thompson Publishing, ISBN 0324-011970

http://home.earthlink.net/~breurkrause

krause@clemson.edu